Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Work Continuing Apace

Adding random tables to all CharGen sections.  No guarantee the character will have any better focus than random Traveller PCs, but that's what one gets when one rolls instead of crafting a character.

I'm faced with a lot of unfinished specific Background tables from the playable Ethnicity and Species tables.  The lazy/cunning designer part of me thinks about consolidating the tables into a more generic bunch and then going back into the source tables and editing them to reflect the new, condensed ... you get the idea.

I'm a bit concerned that my 2H Swords don't do enough damage.  I'm inclined to up them by 50%.

I need caffeine.

2 comments:

  1. How much damage do your 2H swords do?

    I’ve come to the conclusion (after many years of pondering on something so trivial) that the base 1d10 damage is a good model in a system where:

    A) one HD (equal D6 HPs) is the equivalent of one “mortal wound” for a normal (non-heroic, non-warrior trained) human, and
    B) a standard, one-handed melee weapon does 1d6 damage (in a variable damage system).

    For me, it models the huge potential wounds inherent in swinging a 6’ piece of sharpened steel, while still retaining the possibility of only inflicting a minor wound.

    [though I am far less sure about the AD&D increased damage versus “size large” creatures]

    I realize Urutsk is different from the D&D I use as my “standard;” however, I know YOU are familiar enough with B/X that you can extrapolate from it, if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB,

      Full normal damage on a Longsword is 10 Edged, and, 10! Piercing; the (!) indicates that it is 10% easier to Crit.

      PC Strength, etc. may modify this, but it really comes down to the remainder of the strike percentage after active defences (Block, Dodge, etc.). If a positive remainder, the indicated number is the percentage of 10 going towards the target.

      Any strike which scores 50 more than needed is a critical strike: Full indicated damage with an additional 1Dn, where 'n' is the die-type closest to the base damage number; in this case, it would be a d10.

      Armour must be exceeded to damage the wearer, otherwise the points are converted to Stun (and every 5 Stun are also the loss of 1 END).

      Delete